Work in Progress
- “On G. E. Moore’s ‘Proof of an External World’.” Preprint (pdf).
- “Inertial motion, explanation, and the foundations of classical spacetime theories.” Invited for inclusion in Towards a Theory of Spacetime Theories, D. Lehmkuhl ed. Preprint.
- “The scope and generality of Bell-type theorems.” Preprint.
- “The Geometry of Conventionality,” with John Byron Manchak. Preprint.
- “Are Newtonian gravitation and geometrized Newtonian gravitation theoretically equivalent?” (Draft available on request.)
- “Collective belief and the string theory community,” with Margaret Gilbert. Invited for inclusion in The Epistemic Life of Groups: Essays in the Epistemology of Collectives, M. Brady and M. Fricker eds. (Draft available on request.)
- “What is a Singularity in Geometrized Newtonian Gravitation?”
- “What is a scientific theory?” with H. Halvorson.
Books and Edited Collections
- The Physics of Wall Street: A Brief History of Predicting the Unpredictable, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt: Boston, MA. (2013). Amazon. Barnes & Noble.
- The Everett Papers Project, edited with J. Barrett and P. Byrne. UCIspace@The Libraries. (2011). Available here.
- “A brief remark on energy conditions and the Geroch-Jang Theorem.” Foundations of Physics. 42(2), 209-214 (2012). Published version. E-print.
- “On the status of the geodesic principle in Newtonian and relativistic physics.” Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics. 42(4), 276-281 (2011). Published version. E-print.
- “On (Some) Explanations in Physics.” Philosophy of Science. 78(3), 421-447 (2011). Published version. Preprint.
- “The Motion of a Body in Newtonian Theories.” Journal of Mathematical Physics. 52(3), 032502 (2011). Published version. E-print. Extended e-print (with additional proofs).
- “Index of refraction engineering in five level DIGS atoms,” with S. Sagona-Stophel and C. Search. Optics Letters. 36(6), 3130 (2011). Published Version. E-print.
- “Lossless anomalous dispersion and an inversionless gain doublet via dressed interacting ground states,” with C. Search. Physical Review A 81, 023806 (2010). Published version. E-print.
- “Electromagnetically Induced Transparency in a Double Well Atomic Josephson Junction,” with C. Search. Acta Physica Polonica A 116(4), 455-459 (2009). Published version.
- “Quantum control of dispersion in electromagnetically induced transparency via interacting dressed ground states,” with C. Search. Physical Review A 78, 053802 (2008). Published version. E-print.
- “Quantum control of electromagnetically induced transparency dispersion via atomic tunneling in a double-well Bose-Einstein condensate,” with C. Search and M. Jääskeläainen. Physical Review A 78, 013830 (2008). Published version. E-print.
Popular articles and reviews
- “It is not the maths that causes crises but the trust we put in it.” Financial Times. 15 February 2013, 11. Published version.
- “Evil Wall Street tricks can be used for good.” USA Today. 13 February 2013. Published version.
- “Black swans are difficult to predict but we still need maths in finance.” City A.M. 11 February 2013. (Excerpt from The Physics of Wall Street.) (Published version.
- “The Higgs Boson ‘Nightmare Scenario’: What if the biggest new discovery in physics isn’t a beginning, but an end?”. The Boston Globe. 22 July, K3 (2012). Published version.
- “A Quest for Unification,” with A. G. Lisi. Scientific American, December (2010). Published version.
- “Commentary on General Relativity from A to B by Robert Geroch.” Humana.menta 13, April (2010). Published version (pdf).
- “Dark Flow Revealed.” Popular Science, October (2009). Published version.
- “The Accidental Particle: They’re turning on the Large Hadron Collider. Don’t expect the Higgs boson to show up.” Slate, September (2008). Published version.
- “No Strings Attached.” Men’s Journal, June (2008).
- “The Littlest Big Bang.” Popular Science, May (2008). Published version.
- “Editor’s Choice of Overture, by Yael Goldstein.” The Literary Review, Summer (2007).
- “Quantum Scoop: The Holy Grail of Particle Physics May Already Have Been Found.” Slate, June (2007). Published version.
- “Editor’s Choice of Stories in the Old Style, by Al Sim.” The Literary Review, Fall (2006).
- “Editor’s Choice of Branwell, by Douglas Martin.” The Literary Review, Summer (2006).